- Professional, English-speaking guide
- Meals according to the itinerary
- Drinking water, tea & coffee
- Transfer from the hotel to the National Park gate and back
- Overnight stays in mountain huts
- NOTE: An ascent during the great rainy season (April / May) is not recommended.
2 - 15
Mount Meru is the third-highest mountain in Tanzania at 4566 meters, only the Kibo and the Mawenzi (the highest peaks of the Kilimanjaro massif) rise further into the sky. The mountain was formed by volcanic activity in the East African Rift Valley. About 250,000 years ago, the entire eastern flank of the volcano was blown away by a violent outburst, an impressive sight to this day.
The mountain is located in the middle of Arusha National Park, so the hike on the first day has a special charm. In the lowlands of the mountain, accompanied by a ranger, you will see baboons, buffaloes, giraffes and other wildlife. The ascent leads through various vegetation zones, from the grassland into the rainforest, and through the heath and moorland into the alpine desert. A great mountain, which stands unjustifiably in the shadow of Kilimanjaro.
The Meru is technically more difficult than Kilimanjaro and requires a good condition – the last 1000 meters are quite steep. However, climbing skills are not required.
The mountain is also used by many to acclimatize for the Kilimanjaro ascent – this combination is also possible with us on request. The Mount Meru climb is recommended by us as a 4 day tour. For experienced and very fit mountain hikers with high altitude experience, the tour is also suitable in 3 days. The third day of the shortened tour walks after the summit directly to the Momella Gate. Overnight stays are in simple wooden huts.
- Route with accomodation in wooden huts
- Ascent through the Arusha National Park with many wild animals
- Great view in the crater and on the Kilimanjaro
- Total distance about 45 km